Air fryers are all the rage now in the kitchen because of their promise to use no or little fat. I disagree about limiting healthy saturated fat. However, I love our air fryer because we can make delicious crispy air fryer fries. I also prefer to make fried food in our air fryer because it is more economical to use less fat. Usually, I am conservative with our homemade tallow or homemade lard because it can be expensive to use a large amount to deep fry.
My advice to you is to not worry about the amount of fat you are consuming if you are having saturated fat! There is so much fat phobia out there. Our ancestors almost exclusively ate saturated fat and where much healthier and leaner.
1 lb organic russet potatoes or Yukon gold potatoes
Organic fresh rosemary, chopped
3 organic fresh garlic cloves, minced
- Wash the potatoes. There is no need to peel them, unless that is your preference.
- Slice the potatoes into fries. The thinner they are sliced, the quicker cooking time and the thicker they are sliced, the slower cooking time.
- Place fries in mixing bowl and coat in either lard, tallow or avocado oil. Lard and tallow make the best tasting fries. In this recipe, I used avocado oil because that is what I had on hand. If you are using an animal fat, you will need to melt a little amount in a small saucepan as lard and tallow are typically solid at room temperature.
- Toss the cooking fat with tongs. Add Himalayan salt and toss again. I recommend adding a generous amount of salt as it will taste better and more authentic.
- This is the air fryer we use.
- Place fries in air fryer basket evenly. Make sure the basket is not overcrowded. Trust me on this one as the fries will not cook evenly. Place tray beneath basket and put both on the middle shelf (shelf 2) of the air fryer.
- Close the door and set the knobs to 8 minutes cooking time, 400 degrees and the air fry setting. If you want to be extra careful not to burn the fries, try cooking for 5 minutes first and see if that is enough. The fries need to be watched carefully as they cook very rapidly. 8 minutes made my fries come out a little golden brown, which was perfect!
- While you are waiting for the fries to cook, mince and chop your garlic and fresh rosemary.
- When the fries are finished, remove the fries from the basket with tongs and toss in the garlic and rosemary. Add extra salt if needed. Enjoy!
I hope you enjoy this recipe. Let me know in the comments your favorite way of enjoying fries! I love them with mustard or homemade mayonnaise.