Larabars have been gaining in popularity over the past few years. However, they can get expensive if you are eating them on a regular basis. They can be made for a fraction of the cost at home.
You may also be watching out for the price of Larabars if you need to eat at least 6 dates a day in order to shorten labor times according to this Jordan University study. In addition, it is hard to determine the exact number of dates that are in each Larabar. I have written a summary of the date study here. Be sure to check out my article and let me know if you have questions!
According to the company, it depends on the bar. Most of them contain at least one, but not a lot more than one per bar. The best prices I have seen for Larabars are $1 per bar when they are on sale. If you are eating 6 bars a day for 4 or more weeks, that can get quite pricey!
I am happy to share with you my homemade healthy recipe for mock Larabars. With the nuts and coconut oil, your blood sugar will be better balanced.
- Remove seeds from dates and place in food processor.
- Pulse and blend dates into a ball.
- Break up ball into smaller sections in the food processor.
- Add peanuts into food processor and pulse until smooth.
- Form a small part into a small ball to test if the paste is sticking together. If it is not sticking enough, add a little filtered water or coconut oil. I opted for coconut oil for the blood sugar balancing properties. The bars are less likely to spoil if you use coconut oil in place of water. Add a little bit of time and continue testing until you reach a consistency that will stick together.
- *If you are trying to eat at least 6 dates a day to have a shorter labor, divide paste into 4 equal sections. Form into balls or bars in order to eat at least 6 dates a day.
Be sure to check out my rolled coconut date recipe as well. They are delicious and are less caloric than homemade Larabars. I find that switching between these 2 recipes makes eating dates more enjoyable. Sometimes Larabars can be too filling, so you could eat a mix of Larabars and rolled dates or just eat dates straight up!
Have you tried eating dates to shorten your labors? If not, are you considering it for future labors?