One of my favorite things to make during the hot and humid summers is refreshing drinks. I believe in eating with the seasons as much as possible. In my area at this time, watermelon is plentiful.
Agua fresca literally means “fresh water” in Spanish. Making agua frescas is one way I love to enjoy consuming watermelon. They quench my thirst so well and they taste delicious.
Agua fresca can be made from a number of fruits. It is usually made with fruit, a little sugar, water and flowers or seeds (Source). I did not include water in my recipe because I like mine to be more concentrated with fruit and less sugar. You may add water according to your preference.
- Assemble all your ingredients together.
- Wash the watermelon and lime.
- Cut the watermelon into small cubes.
- Place cubes in a high-powered blender.
- Cut the lime in half and squeeze as much juice as you can from one half. Using a spoon or fork helps.
- Add the coconut palm sugar and sea salt.
- Blend until smooth. If you have a Vitamix, using the tamper helps to break the watermelon chunks down.
- Pour into glasses, garnish with limes and serve.
- *If you want to make this into an adult drink or cocktail, all you have to do is add a little rum or vodka. Rum is my favorite! My husband mixed mine with rum and Barenjager.